Jul 21, 2009

Up from the streets of Agrestic/bitch you don't wanna sweat this

So after watching many, many episodes of Project Runway, I've decided I'd like to attempt sewing some type of garment. And, since I don't have a sewing machine and can't afford to buy one, I'm going to try to do the whole thing by hand. I figure it can't be any harder than knitting something, and would actually probably be a lot easier in a number of ways. It'll take some time, but if I can do it I'd like to be able to work at it and maybe I can eventually make a lot of my clothes from scratch. Obviously by that time I'd get a sewing machine though.
I found these great videos online where this woman teaches you all the basic stitches and everything. Very cute and easy to follow. Good website too, there's a lot of different instructional videos on there.

On the less self-improving side of things, I've recently become increasingly worried about my memory. Now...my memory has always been bad, in the sense that I can never remember people's names or details for a very long time, but these days it seems to be getting much worse. Today I went to an FAC meeting and everyone laughed when I had to ask them to remind me why Zak wasn't our treasurer anymore, even though this only happened a few months ago and everyone else could remember perfectly. I'm still kind of hazy about it, even after they explained it. It was pretty funny, but at the same time its just one instance in a series of similar events that have me pretty worried. It's getting to the point now where I can't complete a series of full sentences without having to stop and ask the person I'm talking to what word I mean to use. And not complicated words either. For the past year or so I've really been struggling with writing, mostly because I can't remember how to write. By that I mean that I can't remember, as I'm writing, what I mean to say. I will get halfway through a sentence and have to stop and think again, and often I can never remember what I meant to write. And then I'll get confused about the whole thing, and not understand what I'm trying to say. I've also noticed that my reading comprehension has pretty much plummeted. I'll watch TV shows, and I can't remember who the main characters are from the previous season, sometimes even if they appear in the current season.
The most annoying part has to be forgetting words. And it probably scares me the most. I think for most people this would seem like no big deal, but with my family history I have to admit it's starting to bother me a lot. My mom has MS, and my whole life she's had a really bad memory. So I automatically associate the two things. While MS is not hereditary, you are more likely to get it if your siblings or parents have it. My mother's brother also has it, and possibly even my mother's sister. So, it's certainly on my mind. However, with all of that said, I'm probably more worried about the fact that temporary memory loss is also associated with lupus. I've technically all but been diagnosed with this disease, but due to the nature of it, it's pretty difficult to pin down. It's a sort of "sister" disease to MS, but its also known to be a disease that mimics many of the symptoms of other diseases and therefore has a huge variety of symptoms. I do have a whole bunch of them, including the "butterfly rash" on my face which drives me crazy. But...I think my mom being so concerned about my health when I was young made me wary of going to the doctor about almost anything. I always feel like I'm being a total hypochrodriac. But with my memory obviously getting worse, I'm starting to wonder if I should rethink that.

No comments:

Post a Comment